Shawn Cassidy, the winningest coach in Concordia University Wisconsin men's basketball history, was honored as the recipient of this year's Harris Draayers Presidential S.T.A.R. Award during a virtual employee celebration yesterday afternoon.
Cassidy, a 1993 alumnus who just completed his 13th year as head coach, eclipsed William C. Ackmann’s long-standing record of 215 victories earlier this season. His overall mark of 220-130 includes an impressive home record of 102-40. The Falcons won the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference Tournament in late February with a thrilling overtime victory, earning an automatic bid to the opening round of the 32-team, NCAA Division III Tournament.
President Rev. Patrick T. Ferry praised Cassidy’s involvement with local charities, including Special Olympics. The S.T.A.R. Award recognizes Service, Teamwork, Action, and Results, and lauds a staff member who exemplifies Concordia as a way of life by making outstanding contributions and bringing honor to the university. cuw.edu/star-award
Norbert Dettmann Award
Director of Human Resources Kimberly Masenthin was announced as the recipient of the Dr. Norbert Dettmann Award, named in honor of the physician and friend of the university who donated The Whispering Pines Retreat Center in Shawano, Wisconsin to Concordia on behalf of his family in 1972.
The award has been bestowed upon a faculty or staff member since 2003 who demonstrates dedicated service to the university. Masenthin earned her MBA in Human Resource Management from CUW in 2013.
During the employee celebration via Zoom, the following faculty advancements-in-rank were also announced:
- Dr. Jon Barnett, Associate Professor, Inorganic Chemistry
- Dr. Michael Borst, Professor, Occupational Therapy
- Dr. Elizabeth Buckley, Professor, Pharmacy Practice
- Dr. Elizabeth Evans, Professor, Education
- Rev. Brian German, Associate Professor, Theology
- Dr. Steven Gerner, Dean of Students, Professor, Education
- Dr. Katherine Liesener, Associate Professor, Health & Human Performance
- Dr. Jessica Loppnow, Associate Professor, Natural Science
- Dr. Sarah Lovern LeGear, Professor, Psychology
- Dr. Timothy Macafee, Associate Professor, Communication
- Dr. Michael Oldani, Professor, Pharmacy Practice
- Dr. James Pingel, Professor, Dean of the School of Education
- Dr. Patrick Steele, Professor, History
- Dr. Dylan Thompson, Associate Professor, Chemistry
Four Concordia University Ann Arbor faculty members also advanced in rank – Dr. Robert Hill, Associate Professor, History; Elizabeth Peckham, Associate Professor, Science; Dr. Suzanne Siegle, Professor, Dean of the Haab School of Business; and Dr. Christopher Stark, Associate Professor, Psychology. Those were announced during a virtual CUAA employee celebration Wednesday.
If this story has inspired you, why not explore how you can help further Concordia's mission through giving.