Talk about a throwback! For their fall production, the Concordia Players are taking things back to ancient Roman times.
On Saturday, Oct. 30 and Sunday, Oct. 31, faculty, staff, students, and community members are invited to attend in person as CUW Theatre presents Mary Zimmerman’s play, “Metamorphoses,” which is based on myths included in the great narrative poem of the Roman poet Ovid.
At nearly 12,000 lines spread over 15 books and encompassing more than 250 myths, Ovid’s poem is considered to be his magnum opus. The CUW production breaks down these myths into eight short stories portraying the intriguing, powerful, funny, and thought-provoking tales of Midas, Orpheus and Eurydice, Alycone and Ceyx, and many more.
Saturday, Oct. 30 | 1:30 & 7:30 p.m.
Sunday, Oct. 31 | 1:30 p.m.
$5 for the general public; FREE for students
Introducing the cast
The fall play is directed by Jeff Schaetzke, an adjunct instructor at CUW. The cast is made up of 19 student-actors, including:
- Lily Adam – Midas’ Daughter, Eurydice
- Lizzy Beisel – Aphrodite, Mother, Narrator 2 (Orph/Eur), Therapist
- Jackson Bowen – Ceyx, Narcissus, Apollo, Philemon
- Joy Craig – Narrator (Alcy/Cex), Oread, Persephone, Psyche
- Macee Goehmann – Woman by Water, Narrator (Alcy/Cex), Hunger, Nursemaid, Narrator (ending)
- Ben Hedrick – Servant, Sisyphus, Poseidon
- Magdalena Horn – 2nd Laundress, Sleep, Pomona, Narrator (ending)
- Rachel Lingsch – Laundress, Narrator (Erysicthon), Pandora, Narrator (ending)
- Colin McGarigle – Zeus, Sailor/Henchman, Orpheus
- Noah Merz – Bacchus, Sailor/Henchman, Hippomenes, Eros
- Ryan Murray – Silenus, Sailor/Henchman, Hades, Vertumnus
- Zion Nelson – Erysichton, Sailor/Henchman, Fate/Denizens
- Magdalena Obersat – 3rd Laundress, Narrator (Alcy/Cex), Spirit of the Tree, Snake, Woman at Door
- James Pape – Hermes, Buyer, Phaeton
- Marie Reid – Lucina, Narrator (ending), Myrrha
- Katie Rutowicz – Iris, Ceres, Fate/Denizens, Narrator (Myrrha/Cinyras), Voice (Work Hard)
- Hannah Ryan – Scientist, Narrator (Alcy/Cex), Atlanta, Narrator (Myrrha/Cinyras), Q, Narrator (ending)
- Andrew Sear – Midas, Sailor/Henchman, Cinyras
- Olivia Zimmermann – Alcyone, Narrator 1 (Orph/Eur), A, Baucis
In the mood for a fright?
For Halloween, Concordia Theatre invites you to relive its spring 2020 production of “War of the Worlds.” This infamous radio play, which is based on the novel by H.G. Wells, was first broadcasted from New York’s Mercury Theatre in 1938. It had many terrified listeners convinced that an actual alien invasion of Earth was taking place. CUW Theatre took on an adaptation by “Casablanca” co-writer Howard E. Koch and director/narrator by Orson Welles. The radio play is the frightening tale of an extraterrestrial takeover that is sure to bring new thrills and chills to audiences.
If this story has inspired you, why not explore how you can help further Concordia's mission through giving.