The Concordia University Music Department will present its annual Instrumental Weekend concert tonight. The virtual concert, titled "Instrumental Soliloquies," will begin streaming at 7:30 p.m.
The concert will feature pre-recorded pieces performed by each of Concordia’s instrumental ensembles: University Band (under the direction of Johanna Anderson), Jazz Ensemble, String Ensemble, and Symphonic Wind Ensemble (under the direction of Dr. Louis Menchaca).
Due to copyright restrictions, the performance will only be available for viewing during the scheduled streaming time.
Friday, April 16 | 7:30 p.m.
The concert will feature a special video tribute to the graduating seniors. Annie Robinson, a senior percussionist, will also be highlighted. During University Band’s performance of Concertpiece for Marimba and Wind Ensemble: Concerto for Marimba by Clifton Taylor, Robinson will perform a marimba solo.
Other concert highlights and selections include:
- Lead On, O King Eternal by James Swearingen
- Stevie Wonder in Concert arranged by Paul Murtha
- Estancia by Doug Beach
- Thanks Jack by Mark Lathan
- Smackdown by Jeff Jarvis
- Suite in D (La Rejouissance, Sarabande, and Gigue) by G.P. Telemann, arranged by McCashin
- Brook Green Suite (Prelude, Air, and Dance) by Gustav Holst
- Downtown Funk by Michael Hopkins
Symphonic Wind Ensemble
- Scenes from the Louvre (Children’s Gallery, The Kings of France, and Finale) by Norman Dello Joio
- March “Andante Pomposo” from St. Martin’s Suite by Jan Van der Roost
- Music from “How to Train your Dragon” by John Powell arranged by Sean O’Loughlin
If this story has inspired you, why not explore how you can help further Concordia's mission through giving.