Students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends will have no shortage of events to participate in or watch during Concordia University Wisconsin's Homecoming Week, October 14-19.
Homecoming Week kicks off with the annual Faculty/Staff vs. Student basketball game Monday at 6:30 p.m., where students are anxious to take back their title. Other activities in the field house include a chance to meet the Milwaukee Brewers’ racing sausages and compete for prizes including an airfare voucher, Brewers’ tickets, or a “meet and greet” with Chase Bryant at Saturday night’s concert. To sign up to play in the basketball game, email Sarah Deheck at email@example.com.
Saturday’s football game is always a Homecoming tradition, but new this year is a concert that evening. Other activities for students and the campus community include:
Monday, October 14:
- Mandal, a nationally recognized comedian from Atlanta billed as “smart, silly, energetic and clean.” 7 p.m., Albrecht Lounge.
Thursday, October 17:
- Campus Ministry Leadership Team’s Throwback Thursday Lip Sync Battle, 8 p.m., Albrecht Lounge. Students should come prepared to sing their heart out to their favorite throwback song.
Friday, October 18:
- Induction ceremony into the William C. Ackmann Alumni Hall of Fame, 6-8 p.m., Friends of Concordia Room. This year’s inductees are Neil Bockelmann, 1966, Erin Henrich, 2010, Ryan Wietor, 2005, and the 2002-2003 men’s soccer team, which will be introduced during halftime of the men’s soccer game Saturday. Light reception and check-in from 6-6;30 p.m., followed by the ceremony and a reception from 8-9:30 p.m. Ackmann coached basketball and served as CUW athletic director, and was featured on the cover of Life Magazine in the 1950’s for his innovative use of the trampoline in physical fitness.
- Pops Concert, 7:30 p.m., Chapel of The Christ Triumphant. The concert will feature classics by all three ensembles – wind, string and jazz – along with the University Band, in a special tribute to American music icons Charles Ives and Aretha Franklin. Tickets are $8 for adults; free for youths 17 and under.
- Fireworks and Bonfire, Bluff Amphitheater, 9-11 p.m. Bonfire/Smores, 9 p.m., Fireworks, 9:30 p.m.
Saturday, October 19:
- “Freddy Fest” Tailgate: Live Music, Tacos and Lawn Games, Catalyst Sports Center, 11-2 p.m. Admission is $10, which includes a buffet lunch, entrance to the football game, a T-shirt, and all activities.
- Football game vs. Aurora University, 1 p.m. Alumni who register at the alumni table next to Tomasini Stadium or the sporting events table will receive an alumni button for free admission to the games.
- Men’s Soccer game vs. Illinois Tech, 1 p.m.
- Women’s Volleyball vs. Aurora University, 1 p.m.
- 5th Quarter Alumni Social, 3-5 p.m., Highland House. All alumni are invited to enjoy complimentary food and beverages. Questions on any of the alumni events can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Women’s Soccer vs. Illinois Tech, 3:30 p.m.
- “Shake The Lake,” Todd Wehr Auditorium; Student Band, 8 p.m., Chase Bryant, 9 p.m. Doors open at 7 p.m. Ticket purchasing link can be found on Campus Activity Board’s Instagram or Group page.
Any questions on Homecoming activities can be directed to Devan Lenz at 262-243-4387.
If this story has inspired you, why not explore how you can help further Concordia's mission through giving.