Teaching license in Wisconsin

You can get your teaching license through Concordia University’s CAPTL program.  CAPTL stands for Concordia Accelerated Programs for Teacher Licensure.

What is the curriculum like?

Our curriculum emphasizes working with diverse student populations. Additionally, you’ll grow as a reflective practitioner and understand how to differentiate instruction to meet the academic needs of all learners.

Once you complete student teaching, you’ll finish your capstone project. You’ll earn a master’s and a teaching license with our Master of Science – Teaching and Learning degree!

This program is ideal for working adults who wish to achieve their dream of becoming licensed teachers in Wisconsin, and it does qualify for financial aid.

It is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and a regional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Additionally, it is approved by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction.

Step 1. Decide What You Want to Teach

What do you want to teach?

We need great teachers, and are so excited to help you on this journey!

What age of students are you hoping to work with? This will help you determine what kind of licensure you want to pursue. Is there a certain subject area you’re passionate about?

If you’re unsure about these things, connecting with a counselor can help you identify what kind of licensure matches your career goals.

An initial teaching license in Wisconsin is the license you get when you first begin your teaching career.

Initial Teaching Licenses in Wisconsin:

  • Special Education: Cross-Categorical (Grades 4K-12)
  • Elementary (Grades 4K-9)
  • Early Childhood (Birth –  grade 3) and Elementary (Grades 4K-9)
  • Secondary (Grades 4-12 or 4K-12th depending on content area)
    • Licenses available: Art Education, Broad Field Social Studies, Science, Business Education, English/LA, Mathematics, Physical Education, World Languages (Spanish)
    • Please note! For a Secondary license, you must already have content knowledge in the area. We suggest an undergraduate major in the content area you are looking to become licensed in.

Step 2. The Transcript Evaluation

This program requires a bachelor’s degree.

  • Send unofficial transcripts to your admissions counselor. Include any transcripts where college credit was received.
  • Our program coordinator will evaluate your transcript to make sure you are eligible for the license you are seeking.
  • The program coordinator will reach out to you with that evaluation, including information about our next cohorts!

Step 3. The Application

After learning that you are eligible for licensing, we welcome you to apply!

After you apply…

You’ll have to submit a few items along with your application. The application page will prompt you for each item. You do not need to complete the application in one sitting.

  • Send your official transcripts (electronically or through the mail) to Concordia University Wisconsin Admissions (electronically or through the mail).
  • Upload a current resume.
  • Upload a personal essay, describing your reasons for obtaining a teaching license and pursuing our program. What goals do you have?
  • Submit two letters of recommendation.

Step 4. Acceptance!

Our program directors will review you application.

  • If you get accepted, you will receive an initial acceptance letter with a required Letter of Understanding and Background Check forms to complete.
  • Return those documents, signed.
  • Congrats! You’ll be fully accepted at this point!
  • Check out our Uncommon Scholarships.

Frequently Asked Questions:

How long are the classes?

  • Classes are 8 weeks long

Are classes face-to-face or online?

  • Fall cohort: virtual classes
  • Spring cohort: online classes
  • In-person requirements: Clinical observations, pre-student teaching, and student teaching

How long is the program?

  • Program length: 24-36 months, depending on the license.

Didn’t see your question? Ask a counselor here!

If you still have questions about what it takes to get your teaching license through Concordia University, you can book a call with one of our Inquiry Support Specialists.

This blog was originally published on December 14, 2020. It has been updated to reflect current information.