The 2021 Open Enrollment period was quiet, as our medical, dental, and vision plans stayed consistent. But, there were some positive changes to the dental plan that you should know about!
What stayed the same
- Network: we are still with Cigna Dental as our network
- Deductible: $50/person, $150/family
- Coverage percentages: 100% coverage for preventative care, 80% coverage for basic care, 50% coverage for major care
- Annual Benefit Max: Increased from $1000 per person to $1500 per person
- Our previous plan was progressive, which means that each year covered people sought out preventative care, their benefit increase by $300 to a max of $1900. While this was a nice feature, it now provides a greater benefit to more employees with a higher benefit to all.
- Orthodontic Benefits: Increased from $1000 to $1500, lifetime max, per child under 19 years of age.
- If your child is currently under orthodontic care, work with your ortho to submit for these additional $500 in benefits!
- Out-of-network care: If you see a dentist who is out-of-network, you may notice smaller out-of-pocket expenses.
- Last year’s plan paid “maximum allowable charges” which was significantly less than what dentist’s in our area would charge. This year, out-of-network care is subject to “reasonable and customary charges.” For preventative care, the plan will pay 100% of 80% of what is reasonable and customary in our geographic location. (For example: If in our area, it’s R&C to charge $100 for a cleaning, Cigna will pay up to $80.) For basic care, they will pay 80% of 80% of reasonable and customary. For major care, they will not cover anything. It is still optimal to choose a dentist that is in-network, but if you need to seek care out-of-network, you will have some additional coverage that you didn’t have last year.
Dentists can be found by going to www.cignadental.com, Find a Dr, Employer or School, your zip code and then Doctor By Type, choose Dentist, and our plan is the Cigna DPPO Plan.
If this story has inspired you, why not explore how you can help further Concordia's mission through giving.