Give It Up

Share with your network
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on LinkedInPin on PinterestEmail this to someone

Tomorrow is the start of a very special time of the church year. Ash Wednesday kicks off the season of Lent, a time where we, as Christians, remember our sin and remember why Jesus came down at Christmas. We look forward to that glorious day on Good Friday where our Lord and Savior took our sin away once and for all! I’ve grown up in the Lutheran Church, so I was surprised to hear that many people on campus didn’t actually know much about Lent. I could write a book about the Lenten season (and people have!), but one thing I would like to touch on is the idea of giving things up. I think people don’t do this properly because they see it more as a resolution, a time where you can give something up forever, or start something new. Giving something up for Lent is something different than a New Year’s resolution. Giving something up is a way for you to lose something you love for a little while so when you crave that piece of chocolate or going on Facebook or watching an episode on Netflix, your mind then turns to Christ and all he gave up for you. For example, I gave up all chips for one year (I was young, so this was a big step for me). Every time I was craving to eat chips, I would be reminded to think of Christ, think about what he did for me, and think about what he continues to do for me. The season is a time of reflection, and one way we can do this is by giving up something to reflect on Jesus giving everything up for us!

Share with your network